Originally Posted by bcp
It is a wonder any hunters survive in western and northern Canada without pistols. crazy

I wonder how they do it. smile

Bruce

It's true. Most of us survive! wink The chance of Bear attack is low but it would be a very unpleasant way to go. A small number of folks are killed by bears from time to time.

I have all the books I could buy on Bear Attacks (6 on the shelf) and thought about this a fair bit since we started taking the kids on wilderness trips. If it was legal I would take a 44 Mag on my hip. It isn't legal here so Bear Spray is on there instead. In many cases I think it's probably a better solution from a statistical point of view. I have a little Ruger 44 Carbine, a 12.5" 870 Clone 12 Gauge and a 450 Marlin Guide Gun as well. Problem is I don't carry them at all times when outdoors. Maybe I should but even the little Ruger isn't that handy at5 times.

The Bear Spray... I always have. I do suspect some Canadian lads smuggle their hand guns into a shoulder holster and pack anyway. I don't. My only handgun is a WW1 Webley in 455. 270 grain bullet at 600Ft/Sec doesn't inspire as much confidence as the Spray. I'd be delighted to have the choice of a 357 Mag but I don't. I am, not that upset though as with the good statistics on the usefulness of bear spray I wouldn't be surprised if this actually makes us safer in the long run.