Originally Posted by 458 Lott

The reason I say the 357 is up to the task, is only a CNS shot will stop a charging bear, and a heavy hardcast from a .357 will reach the brain or spine just as effectively as a 44, 45, 475 or 500. None of those more powerful handgun rounds placed somewhere are going to stop a bear, they also need to hit the cns.

I would diverge a bit from this idea in that, while one should not and cannot count on peripheral shot stopping, the bigger cartridges leave one with better prospects for frame breaking shots beyond a "vital miss" around the head or neck. I better trust and much prefer the idea of using a 300 hardcast or solid-type bullet moving at least 1000 fps. A 400 in a 480 moving the same would also be useful. If that takes out the spine at any point, or the pelvis, great. If all I get is one leg, that buys some time, however momentary it, perhaps, is. Stopping a bear is the ultimate time stopper. But slowing the process is another way to accomplish that outcome. While I prefer a handy carbine for bear duties when I really don't want to kill one, I think many times the now-mid-level big bore handguns get overlooked for the monster-mags. I have no use for a defensive handgun cartridge that blasts a bullet out with pressures required to move it at 1500 fps, give or take. Stout 44 Mag or 45 Colt loads or 480s seem just about ideal to me.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.