Originally Posted by Brad
$775 for a pack with an antiquated suspension?

Damn...

I thought the same thing when I first saw Dan's website a few years ago. In fact, that was the main reason I passed at the time. However, reading first hand accounts of people who have actually used his products over the years changed my mind.

Dan's suspensions have a number of features that are somewhat unique to his packs including double waist belt buckles, bypass harness, top frame extensions, and his Q-Bayo feature.

Having now used one of Dan's packs, I have found them to be every bit the equal if not superior to offerings I have used from companies like Mystery Ranch, Gregory, Badlands, Mountain Smith, et. al. I no longer believe that thermo-molding, thick multi density foam, plastic stiffeners, 3D mesh, catenary cuts, etc. are necessary for a great suspension.

As for price, it is no doubt expensive. I'm hoping in ten years I won't remember how much it cost. :-) However, someone could easily purchase a basic and truly custom pack from Dan for similar cost, or not much more, than packs offered by Kifaru or Mystery Ranch.