Originally Posted by Brad
$775 for a pack with an antiquated suspension?

Damn...

Hello all, new guy here. In fact, looking up McHale LBP reviews is what brought me to this site. I'm in the market for a new pack and it's come down to two; the LBP and a similar sized pack from another well respected company. I apologize for necroposting, but I'd love to see this thread updated with more reviews of the LBP's.

I also wanted to mention I got a chuckle out of your quote Brad. I mean no disrespect, you've probably forgotten more about backpacking than I'll ever know (And props to you, by the way, for apologizing. Too few people do that anymore). I just wanted to make an observation on the "antiquated" vs. "advanced" argument. I bought a SIG P226, European made handgun new, many years ago. I like it so much that more recently I bought the same model that is supposedly the "advanced" version, 1 peice stainless slide with Nytron finish versus the old folded carbon slide of the original. The old gun is better in every way (except perhaps rust prevention, although in fairness it has never rusted either). It is more accurate, smoother, better trigger, etc. I promptly sold the newer version. I'll never sell my oldie.

The department I work for switched radios a few years back. We went from the Motorola Saber to the newer, more advanced, Motorola XTS 5000. The newer radios are smaller, lighter, "more powerful", etc. Better in every way right? Nope. The Saber battery lasted way longer (I can barely get a 12 hour shift worth of charge out of my new radio), the Saber transmitted and received far better in remote areas. I was once on a rescue where I (and all my gear), got dunked in the Pacific and then stranded on a beach. The Saber continued to work the remainder of the afternoon until a Coastie helo could come and hoist us out. Finally the battery got so corroded the radio stopped working. Put in a new battery the next day and never had an issue. The "advanced" newer radios crap out constantly (I have coworkers on their 3rd or 4th radio from normal use). Sorry for the long stories. The point I was trying to make is that with gear I've almost come to view "antiquated" as a compliment. smile

Last edited by Jedi5150; 02/10/12.