Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by elim
I just got ride of a new Kifaru ku3700 when I ordered the Mchale.I am kind of a picky guy and being able to call Dan and be able to get what ever options configured how I wanted was huge for me.

Why did you get rid of your KU 3700? I love mine, it replaced a ULA Catalyst as a hiking pack. I had hopes Kifaru would come out with a simple (no idiotic sleeping bag zipper) 5000 cubic in pack with a backpouch but it was not to be. A McHale looks like the only game in town if that is what you want.

You and I are in agreement about the sleeping bag compartment zipper. That is why of the new Timberline series the T3 was the only one I was even considering. The two larger ones have the zippered main compartment. And I do really like the bellowed slot pockets (would work perfect for my camera tripod).

My two biggest selling points for the McHale over the T3 or KU packs both center around personal style. First, and I know this is very picky sounding, is color. My friends at work make fun of me because all I wear even off work is earth tones...khaki pants, black or coyote jackets, tan boots, etc. But when it comes to backpacks, I really like a pack that is not so...what is the word..."tacticool". Multi colored packs appeal to me (even if they are just shades of grey, black and white smile ).

Secondly, the way the McHales so successfully take one pack and make it fit a wide range of conditions. When I backpack, I get to my camp for the day, set up my tent and gear, and then go exploring/ picture taking. The McHale, with the P&G system, dumping the top lid and expedition pouch, etc., really makes that happen well from what I've seen. There are other minor points, but those two are the biggest things swaying me towards a McHale at the moment.