Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
As I understand it, Cuben and Dyneema are two different types of fabric. My guess is Dan is using Dyneema in the high wear/stress areas and the lighter Cuben for the rest.

elim, keep us posted on how the pack turns out. Using Cuben and Dyneema is cutting edge pack construction.

Somewhere on his website (I'm going to start taking notes on where I find things for later reference wink ) I saw there was an update that 100% Full Dyneema packs were no longer going to be available, due to the shortage of material. I'm guessing that 100% full Spectra packs will still be available, but that is only a guess. Do you guys know if Spectra is also white like Dyneema? I've heard they are the same thing, but I believe he said they come in two different weights. I'm hoping for white to be the main pack color if I order one.

As a side note, I recently got new rifle plates for work. I wear a kevlar concealment vest under my shirt, but the new plate carrier is with Dyneema plates (stacks of dyneema made into a hard plate). That stuff is IMPRESSIVE. I've seen it shot first hand (for testing). A 3 lb, 10"x 12" plate of Dyneema will stop anything up to and including 308 Winchester FMJ, 5.56 FMJ., etc. at muzzle velocities. I think it's cool that packs are made out of it too. lol