I prefer the 200 grain Nosler ballistic tips personally. If a guy feels the need for a premium, the 210 grain partitions work very well. Everyone has their own opinion and there really isn't any perfect bullet weight. It depends on what your rifle likes more than anything.

I like a bullet to open fast and cause a LOT of internal trauma, dropping the elk on the spot. That is what the ballistic tip does, then it exits with a major bleeder hole, if needed. The .338 isn't a fast round, so premiums sure aren't needed.

I cringe when guys show up packing .338's or ultra mags, because 99% of the time, they can't shoot them well at all. Most guys that recommend a certain cartridge or bullet weight for elk have never shot the round, let alone shot any elk with it, but they "read" or "heard" it was the perfect elk combo. In fact, everyone I know that has killed a lot of elk have dropped back down to less abusive rounds. Most shoot 7mm mags now or .300 Win mags. They all used to shoot .338's and .375's for elk.

Buy a lot of inexpensive ammo and become VERY proficient with your rifle in field conditions without flinching. There isn't a .338 load or bullet on the market that won't cleanly kill elk all the time, every time. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.