Originally Posted by janesvillejohn
Originally Posted by Royce
Just askin' here, but if a fellow was going to use the 200 grain bullets, would there be any advantage to using the .338 bullet over a .308 bullet of 200 grains?

Fred
Personally I don't care for the 200 or 210 grain bullet in a 338. Poor sectional density and poor ballistic coefficient. The 200 grain Nosler Partition in the .308 caliber is a stream line deep penetrating slug. In a 30 caliber magnum class rifle it is a hell of an elk round, in close or far away! Off subject but look at the statistics on this target bullet from Sierra granted it is a 240 grain .308 caliber BTHP for 1000 yard plus shooting, but it is impressive in a 30-378 Weatherby with a custom 30 inch barrel!
# Sectional Density: 0.361
# Ballistic Coefficient: 0.771

Ahh, nothing quite like ballistic gak! I've been using the 210 Nosler Partition for years in my 338 Win Mag, on everything from 8' Grizzlies to Idaho Whitetails. Fortunately none of them have read the "ballistic gak", they just fall over and die! The only one that required a second shot was a Whitetail that I shot as he was streaking across a river bottom. The second one tipped him right over. It's the perfect match for the 338 Win Mag and I don't even try other bullets anymore. I'm sure they'd work, but the 210's are a proven killer for me. I carried some 185 TSX's last year, but shot my deer with the 210.