Originally Posted by DayPacker
After looking at a lot of different forums I believe the 338 win mag with 225 nosler partion is the best Elk round. True or false?

As I noted above, there is no universal �best� elk cartridge. That said, I thought I would add that I have a .338 Win Mag being assembled from parts � a Ruger �boat paddle� semi-skeletonized stock, a stainless MKII action and a factory 22� barrel with iron sights that has been fluted. I also have a Ruger laminate stock for it. It should be ready in late May and I plan to hunt elk with it this fall.

The load I intend to use is a 225g AccuBond with a claimed BC of .550. Using MPBR zeros for a target 6� in diameter and comparing to the 2882fps stated in Nosler�s �Reloading Guide 6�, I have been unable to find any load that shoots significantly flatter. In fact, the �flattest� load I can find is from Hornady�s 8th Edition, a 3000fps 200g SST with a claimed BC of .455. While it is 1-1/4� flatter at 500-600 yards when using a MPBR zero for a 6� target, it falls behind at 700 yards. Moreover, the lighter Hornady 200g SST load loses the velocity race inside 350 yards, at which range the 225g AccuBond delivers an extra 300fpe.

Granted, there is a slight price to pay in recoil � with an 8.3 pound rifle and scope combination the 225g AccuBond load has a calculated 37.0 foot-pounds of recoil versus 35.3 foot-pounds for the lighter 200g SST load. Don�t think I can get too excited about that...

All the above calculations are just that � calculations. With a little luck, this fall I�ll get to see just how well the 225g AccuBonds perform.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.