I'm Canadian born, pressing 76 years ago. But the Brit 303 has never been a favorite of mine. Though my first big game rifle was such.

Since then, I've owned and used most popular American cartridges from .25-06 to .458 Win Mag. I'm a user not bothered by "magnumitis" or nostalgia. Yet, my long-time favorite cartridge is the practical, hard-hitting .45-70 in late model Marlins or Ruger No.1's. I use modern loads with smokeless powder and tough bullets that will take down any big game I hunt. Contrary to some thinking, the modern Marlin, when loaded properly, can reach WAAAAY out there to take a moose, black bear, elk, grizzly, brown bear or white tail. AND, anything in Africa, with the "right" load. It's been done, not a few times!

But my favorite "toy" today is another "antique"... the fabulous 9.3 X 62 Mauser! Again, when handloaded properly it can "handle" any game in the world... and has!

Currently, my favorite big-game rifles are a Ruger #1 in .45-70 IMP and a TIKKA in 9.3 X 62. I'm very international! laugh

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 10/24/11.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus