Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Don't tell anyone, but I prefer bolt action Euro-arms to most of the stuff made in North America. If I did not have any mechanical skills at all, most of my bolt rifles would be Tikkas and/or Sakos.

I have a couple of SA made Puma Model 92s and a hodge-podge of other action types.

Since I like to tinker, I rebuild many of my rifles using new triggers, bolt handles and stocks. I like Savage or Stevens rifles because I can twist on a new barrel too.

Jerry Teo actually did my last barrel though. It's a HB Shilen 6x45mm with a Choate Ultra Varmint stock. I replaced the trigger and bolt handle a couple of years ago. It's heavier than all get out, but it's mostly for the range. I was prepping some cases for it today and am hopeful that my homemade 76 gr. bullets will group well.

WRT cartridges, the older ones work so I never bothered replacing my 30-06s, 308s, 303s, etc. with any magnums. I just don't need a 260, 7-08, etc.

What we need in Canada is a decent source of aftermarket stocks. Affordable hunting or varmint stocks that is. I've got two rifles that need replacements.

Try wildcat composites out of Edmonton. And for the record I'm in central B.C. and currently use .375 Ruger, 30-06, 308, 303, 7-08, 6.5x55, 22-250, and .223. There's not a single "magnum" in my safes at this time.