Ugly is as ugly does. I consider them as a handsome rifle in either the full military or sporter configuration. I like both the #1 and #4 models in their multiple mk designations. The chambering, like the 30-06 is charmingly reliable. I own many of the Lee Enfield, Long Branch and even an original run of the Ruger #1.

It has lost favour with the younger crowd as the new lighter faster more commercially available and marketed wonder wizzums are presented as necessary to kill the new improved kevlar chested game encountered in the bush today.

I use a variety of different rifles as I hunt and shoot for fun, but the 303, 7x57, 30-06 and 257 Roberts all leave me feeling well able to cleanly take any game I encounter. I don't hunt at great distances as I live in the bush. I have shot my 303.s and my other rifles at 500 yds and they are as accurate as any other on the target range.

Use the rifle you already have to harvest deer. Use it enough so you know its trajectory well and it is comfortable to you. If you are starting out, or if you are tired of the big noise and recoil, buy a less agressive chambering in a less expensive used rifle. You will not be undergunned.

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff