Originally Posted by GlennKelley
n007,
During the '50s,60s and probably into the 70s Eatons and Simpson-Sears sold the sporterized .303 through their catalogs.I remember in the late 60s that a cut down military stocked rifle was about 30.00.
They were more factory conversions than bubbas.

Glenn

Glenn;
If foggy memory serves they sometimes went for as low as $20 for an unaltered one at either Army & Navy or Princess Auto stores in Regina.

They were sold, as Steve mentioned, in big barrels or drums. I can't for the life of me recall whether the drums were steel or wooden though.

Even then the "Jungle Carbine" would usually go for a whopping and decadent $45. grin

My first center fire rifle was a P17 that I bought off of some friend's father for $15 when I was 12 or 13. I shot a couple crows with it and sold it to another buddy for the same amount.

It was an early indication in my life that I'd better not be a gun trader for a living unless I developed a weight problem! laugh

Thinking back on it now, I'd say that at least every other farm house in Saskatchewan had some variety of .303. Of course every single one had a Cooey .22.

All the best to you Glenn and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"