My son and I went on the first squirrel hunt of the season so far this year. The temperatures dropped Saturday morning to 51 degrees and nearly zero wind. We hit an Ozark ridge and split up planning to meet about a half mile down the ridge. He went around one side and I skirted the other side of the ridge. There is a plentiful mast crop this year, lots of acorns, hickory nuts, walnuts, persimmons, and the squirrels have been making good use of them already. Cutting littered the ground and the bushy tails were swinging through the tops in decent numbers.

Those danged little grays in the early season just don�t sit still for no amount of time. My son was using a Ruger Deluxe Sporter 10/22 with a trigger job and I was using my old Ruger 77/22 stainless with the boat paddle synthetic stock with the green inserts. I killed seven with nine shots all of them headshot. My boy killed nine which about half were headshot and half shoulder shot. I ran across a bunch of turkey poults not much bigger than chickens, fun to see. I�ve been using sub-sonic hollow points the last couple of years and love them. They are fantastically accurate and make a nice �whack� when you thud one in a squirrel�s noggin. All in all a good day and we ended up with all young fry squirrels for a good future dinner.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.