Originally Posted by Texas99
I am awaiting my SECOND monthly Social Security check right now, and I sort of resent hearing it described as an "entitlement". I starting paying into that system when I was in high school, and continued to pay through 35 years of full-time employment.

You mean you began being taxed for the support of old people when you were in high school, the way I'm being taxed to support you now.

It's difficult for me to feel too horribly sorry for you when you're offended by what people call it. At least you've gotten one check out of it, and you seem to think you'll get another.

Be happy about that, not sour. I've been taxed for old people my entire working life too, and I'm never going to see a dime of it. Social Security has already been insolvent for over two years, and by the time I'm old people and ready to be supported it'll be long gone.

Give me back what I've paid in, no more - I'll eat the return I could have earned had it been properly invested - , and then take my name of the "entitlement" list, OK?

Why not demand back all the taxes you've ever paid? I'd support you in that, of course, but you wouldn't get very far.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867