Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
While the "plus" of two chokes is often emphasized by double users, I have never found it of much use in hunting conditions.

That is one of the reasons that I like a SxS; the instant option of two chokes. For example, A few weeks ago I was hunting Squaw Butte outside of Emmett, Idaho. I was getting into both valley quail and chukars. The quail were close shots and the chukars were getting up at 30 yards or more. Several times I took a chukar with the tight barrel (3 1/2 points of choke) and was immediately presented with close quail that I took with the open barrel (1 point of choke).

And, many years back, I had some Federal shells that had spent a winter in an unheated shed. Their performance was questionable at best. When the first shell went pfsst and left the wad in the barrel I was able to immediatly switch to the other, unobstructed, barrel. After the shot, I'd ram a piece of wire down the right barrel and clear the wad. What a pita that was.

For waterfowl, I use an 870 simply because I can dunk it in the bathtub and get the mud out of the action before I proceed with a proper cleaning.

Each gun has its place, but for an upland gunner who wants one gun, a twin-trigger SxS is hard to beat.