Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
the guy wanted a gun for phesants and other birds..there is simply noway a young person starting out would be smart to buy a 16..the guns aren't available and neither is the ammo..he apparently was just beginning..

Really?????
Spin it any way you want to but the OP clearly said he wanted to "get back into" upland hunting.

""Can you guys recommend a quality shotgun for a fella who wants to get back into pheasants (and maybe some quail and chukar). Don't want multiple shotguns, just one quality, versatile shooter. And what guage to you recommend?""

I gave "My" opinion and my opinion only, which YOU immediatly launched an all out assault on, stating,,,

"" Plus you can get top quality 12 ga. shells for much less than other ga.s. As for a 16 it is a beautiful ga..but look at the stores and see the availability of ammo compared to others and the cost.."" and threw in the tired old 30/06-12ga at the local gas station mantra for good measure even though you later admit that you've never personally experienced this internet phenominum (sp?).

Then when I defended my choice by posting a link indicating that your cost assesment was incorrect,,, instead of replying to that statement, you fell back on name calling and condecending remarks akin to what politicians do when they can't back up their stance.

"" And as far as Fioche Golden Pheasant ammo, it is pretty popular in trendy stores,""
"" But looking cool is not that important to old hunters.""
And.
"" as far as a rattling pumps,I will take them everytime over the snob s x s or o/u..The snob factor of certain shotguns is fine if you like that group..""

Soooo,,,, you shoot your pump guns and I'll shoot my old 16GA SXS and my newer 16ga O/U (snob guns) and we'll both be happy.
I will however continue to recommend a 16 or 20 over a 12 due to the lighter weight (he did say "Upland" birds IIRC) wheather a shooters "new to" or "getting back into" hunting despite ammo availability whether precieved or real.
One thing I'm sure you will agree on though, is if said new hunter does forget/loose his shells he'll only do it once reguardess of ga.