Pretty hard to beat a Beretta 390 or 391 IMO. They will do it all extremely well. Count me as a 12 ga fan. If I get to the point that the difference in weight between a 20 and a 12 really matters, then I probably need to rethink my hunting hobby. People can talk about how they are almost as good as a 12 ga....funny thing is, they keep comparing them to the 12 ga. But everyone has their opinion.

Best advice I can give you....find a gun that fits you and you can hit with it. That is your No. 1 priority. Action type is secondary. If you go out and purchase some fancy-schmancy double and cant hit with it, it is almost worthless to you as a hunting gun.

Personally not a fan of pump guns. I have seen too many jam from either gun failure or short stroking. Either results in the same 4 letter word being tossed about! I know, I know, the next poster will have been hunting for 80 years with his pump and shot 15,000 birds with it and never had a problem, but that has been my experience. Note also that I am not a fan of cheap autos. They tend to extract the same 4 letter word.

Having said that, if you want to stay on the cheap side to make sure you want to get into this upland hunting thing...I would prolly recommend a pump. Wont cost you much and you can sell it for almost what you pay for it. Then, if you like the sport, go buy a nicer gun that hopefully you had a chance to try somewhere along the line.

Remember, find one that fits and you can hit with it!!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.