Originally Posted by 673
Well rem338, I'm not trying to pick on you but you are right about something, its about your metis status not being persued, there is no benefit, no tax exemptions, no land, no FA, really, I guess benefit can only be measured in some financial way, tax status or some other, not so, most people persue Metis status because they are proud of their nation and who they are as a Metis.
If you choose not to identify with the Metis people of Canada then that is sad, btw, self identification as being Metis is one of the criteria to gaining Metis status. If you dont identify then sobeit YOUR choice.
Even within the "indian nations" there are many separate nations within Canada, thats part of the issue, the word is diversity,,,Sioux, cree, Saulteaux, Carrier, all separate nations within Canada. Canada has went well out of their way to make some of the newly arriving people feel more than welcome.

I'd bet that if the govt came out and said they would refund all the income tax Metis have paid over the years he'd change his tune fast. ;-)