I'm with Gary on this one. It's a small niche for sure, but in a carbine size rifle, I think the RCMs are useful. Trying to say they are equal to or better ballistically than their full size magnum counterparts is the same stupid marketing ploy used when the WSMs and SAUMs came out. But, poor and or dishonest marketing doesn't make any of the WSMs, SAUMs, or RCMs bad or useless cartridges. They just fill a small niche that may or may not support their survival. Before they're gone, I'd like to pick up a LH 77 in 300 RCM with a 20 inch barrel-just because.
Speaking of small niches, there's even people out there that ardently believe that the 7mm Rem Mag is just too small, the 7mm STW too big, the 7mm RUM way too big, and have a marvelous wildcat called, I think, the 7mm Mashburn. I believe there is even a "Super" (long throat?) version. Now, seeing that I've owned a few wildcats and currently have a 35 Brown Whelen (lot's of fun fireforming brass with no headspace), I'm not questioning the need and usefulness of said cartridge. More power to ya. grin
Seriously, there is really only a few downsides to the RCMs. If you hate Hornady brass, don't buy one. If you hate Hornady bullets and don't handload, don't buy one. If you are a person who handloads because you like to be able to beat the underloaded factory stuff for velocity, don't buy one. Otherwise, they're just another cartridge choice to take or leave.
Just my 2 cents,
Steve