Originally Posted by stanimal
[To answer the original question:

No - the market is killing the 300 & 338 RCM's

And this is still the reason.

The powers that be at Ruger aren't stupid despite folks' displeasure with them in not catering to their own personal whim. They're willing to take a risk and when you take a risk sometimes you fail.

They're not going to stop making rifles in chamberings that sell, they are going to stop making rifles in chamberings that don't sell.

"Folks" all said, "give is a 9.3X62, it's so cool, I'd buy one." So Ruger did, and folks didn't buy one. At least not in enough numbers to justify its continued existence. Remington had the same experience with the .35 Whelen- "oh, give us a .35 Whelen, we'd buy lots". But they didn't buy lots of them.

I don't think someone at Ruger just up and thought of making the .300 and .338 RCM's. Their market research must have shown them the public wanted a handy carbine that still gave good velocity. But, sometimes market research is wrong. They're in good company, so to speak; the .284 Winchester and 6.5 Remington Magnum come to mind, not to mention all of the SAUMs.

In the case of the .300 and .338 RCM, they gambled and lost. I am reminded of Jack Nicholson's line in "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" - "at least I tried, dammit, at least I tried...".

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!