I got a great story of my 1st deer rifle! No one in my immediate family (dad/brother) hunted or liked guns so I was the "black sheep". I was turning 16 and what does every kid turning 16 want? A ride of course.....Well my mom/pops came into the house and my mom said "we got your BDAY gift" so I was like OK, where/what... My mom told my dad to give me the keys!!! Hot dern, I got a ride!!!!!!! Yeahhhhhhhh, then my mom said it's in the trunk!!! hahahaha had me fooled!!! I opened the trunk and low and behold sat a new/used Remington 700 in 270! It had/has a cheapo Tasco 3x9x40 w/ even cheaper see through mounts! It was a beautifully cared fer gun! I still have it like it came and before moving up to different rifles, shot a bunch of deer with it!

I have raised all 3 of my kids to hunt and fish, and my youngest got his 1st deer rifle at 7 (NEF 223). Killed his 1st deer at that age too. Since I have bought him his 1st quality rifle (BAR in 270) but he wants my Steyr in 7-08 since I bought my Steyr in 300. Can't fault him fer having good taste like his daddy!!!