Originally Posted by JustinL1
My dad and I just got drawn for our first elk hunt in WY this October, and I need some help choosing a bullet for my rifle. The rifle is a Remington 700, I've been shooting it for a year or two with Federal blue box 180-grain Power Shok bullets, which the rifle shoots very well, usually well under an inch when I do my part. Now, I would like to use a tougher bullet than that for this hunt, and was planning on using a Federal 180-grain Partition load. I bought a box to try this weekend and when I went to the range, I was getting around 2" groups with them, which I'm sure would be good enough, but I would like to do better. Any suggestions on something else I could try? I'm limited to factory loads right now, just want to see what everyone has used on elk before with success- or ones that haven't worked.

The bullets you use are far less important than where you place them. My son-in-law uses Winchester 180g Power Points in his .300WM. They have been very accurate and chrono�d a bit faster than advertised. His first elk was at 362 yards, on the far hill about halfway between the tops of the aspens and the top of the hill itself. One shot and it was on the ground before you could say �Colorado�.

[Linked Image]

If the Fed 180g blue box loads shoot well, use them with confidence.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.