Originally Posted by JustinL1
My dad and I just got drawn for our first elk hunt in WY this October, and I need some help choosing a bullet for my rifle. The rifle is a Remington 700, I've been shooting it for a year or two with Federal blue box 180-grain Power Shok bullets, which the rifle shoots very well, usually well under an inch when I do my part. Now, I would like to use a tougher bullet than that for this hunt, and was planning on using a Federal 180-grain Partition load. I bought a box to try this weekend and when I went to the range, I was getting around 2" groups with them, which I'm sure would be good enough, but I would like to do better. Any suggestions on something else I could try? I'm limited to factory loads right now, just want to see what everyone has used on elk before with success- or ones that haven't worked.

I too am handicapped by not reloading. I tried shooting the federal partitions in my 243 and 2 1/2" 3 shot groups was the best I could get 100yds.
Try these : http://www.hornady.com/store/300-Win-Mag-180-gr-SP/ Its a pretty tuff C&C bullet.These were very accurate in my rifle.
Another option is to try a different manufacturer that load partitions.

Last edited by 1tnhunter; 04/05/14.