Originally Posted by scopey58
So what do I do? Put my own stand up, (maybe in a tree right next to them) or find a new area? It is ALL National Forest.
John

It's illegal to leave them up all year. And it's hogging the resource. But if you report him and then hunt those same spots, that could lead to some interesting discussions. If I were you and wanted to hunt a spot like that, I'd put up my own tree stand. If they came along and questioned why you were hunting "their" spot, you could just say that you'd been scouting there in the summer and you were aware that the stands were left there all year, so you knew they weren't put there recently and assumed no one would be using them. That would let him know you're onto him, and if he was smart he'd back off. If he pressed the issue, then I'd report him.

As far as the OP's question, it's really your judgment call. Like WS said, if the shoe is on the other foot, the outfitter is not going to cut you any slack and leave you to hunt an area.

So I'd base your decision on whether you want to hunt in an area that's being pressured by his hunters. Also, if I was near his camp and there was anyone there, I'd stop in and say hello, make his acquaintance, and let him know where you're hunting. It can't hurt, and if he knows you're over there he may choose to hunt elsewhere. And one day you may need some help from him.

A wise man is frequently humbled.