Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I'm going to buy another rifle to hunt with this Fall ( I certainly don't need one, but you know how that goes). I have a few chamberings not currently in the safe, and I can't make up my mind which to add, so I figured who better to make up my mind for me than a bunch of rifle loonies sitting around the Fire? I most commonly hunt varmints, deer and Black bear, but also hogs, exotics, and an occasional foray for an elk (probably will take a 270 or 06). Deer being what I hunt the most.

I have reloaded for close to 20 years and I use a chronograph, so loading for older cartridges that are not commonly listed in manuals is not a huge hurdle. With all that said, here is the list I am trying to choose from. The one most recommended in this thread is the chambering I will purchase a rifle for and use, at least on a few hunts, this Fall:

7mm Mauser (7x57)
6.5 Swede
6.5 Creedmoor (I have a 260 rem)
250 Savage (careful with elk)
257 Bob (should have kept my last one) and (careful with elk)
7mm-08 (never owned one)
300 savage (gotta be a 99?)

What say ye?

While I fully understand requesting recommendations and considering them in the selection process, I fail to understand purchasing a rifle based solely on whatever gets the most recommendations.

My .257 Roberts is my favorite rifle and is a great dual-purpose varmint/big game cartridge. I load it with 75g V-MAX for prairie poodles and coyotes and 120g A-Frames for deer and elk. For antelope it gets 100g TTSX or 110g AccuBond. The Roberts is a better choice for handloaders than those that don�t, due to a rather limited selection of factory ammo. That said, and even as a handloader, I would probably look for a .260 Rem if purchasing a rifle with similar capabilities today.

A Savage 99 has long been on my want list but I can�t seem to find one in good shape that is in a price range I�m willing to pay. When I do, it will be chambered for .308 Win rather than the .300 Savage.

You already have a .260 Rem and none of the cartridges you list adds much if any real capability, so let me suggest some alternatives:

1. .30-30 lever
If you don�t already have one, why not? Nothing beats a lever gun for sheer fun and the .30-30 will do most jobs and is easy on the shoulder.

2. .375 Win lever
Somewhat hard to find but a fun gun. Mine has only taken antelope but I�ve hunted elk with it. Not a long range cartridge but a thumper and great for close range (woods, heavy brush, etc.) work. A 220g Hornady at 2230fps will do for deer out to 250-300 yards.

3. .45-70 lever
Awesome fun, from �mild to wild�. I load mine with 13.5g HS6 and 300 and 350g hardcast for 1167fps and 1097fps respectively. Last time I checked, a box of 20 was costing me about $2.50. My girls love this load, as do I. On the other extreme I have my �Rhino Blaster� loads, 460g hardcast at 1812fps. Brutal on both ends. For more mundane hunting, 300-350g jacketed at around 2100-2200fps. Took a 6x6 bull elk at 213 lasered yards with a 350g North Fork. The bull stood for a few seconds, then tipped over. I�d reach out to 300 yards (-22�) with this load but after that the trajectory becomes a significant issue. Over the years I�ve worked up more loads for the .45-70 than any other rifle.

4. .338 Federal
Don�t have one but find it an interesting cartridge. Would love to have one in a compact, lightweight rifle. Seems like it would be a great choice for deer, bear and hogs, even elk at ranges I�ve taken most of mine.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.