Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I'm going to buy another rifle to hunt with this Fall ( I certainly don't need one, but you know how that goes). I have a few chamberings not currently in the safe, and I can't make up my mind which to add, so I figured who better to make up my mind for me than a bunch of rifle loonies sitting around the Fire? I most commonly hunt varmints, deer and Black bear, but also hogs, exotics, and an occasional foray for an elk (probably will take a 270 or 06). Deer being what I hunt the most.

I have reloaded for close to 20 years and I use a chronograph, so loading for older cartridges that are not commonly listed in manuals is not a huge hurdle. With all that said, here is the list I am trying to choose from. The one most recommended in this thread is the chambering I will purchase a rifle for and use, at least on a few hunts, this Fall:

7mm Mauser (7x57)
6.5 Swede
6.5 Creedmoor (I have a 260 rem)
250 Savage (careful with elk)
257 Bob (should have kept my last one) and (careful with elk)
7mm-08 (never owned one)
300 savage (gotta be a 99?)

What say ye?

Given that you have a 270, a 30/06,and a 260 already,you really don't need any of them smile

But since we are playing with wish lists, I would go with the 257 Roberts.

The 7mm's listed will be so similar to the 270 and the 260,you will never tell the difference.

A squib load in the 30/06 will do whatever you need from a 300 Savage.

The 260 will do what a Roberts will do and gives you the short action, high BC bullet case that seems popular today.

But the Roberts uses somewhat lighter bullets,works like a charm on varmints, and swats deer/ antelope sized game easily to 400 yards, as far as I have used it.And burns modest amounts of powder and long barrel life.

If you ever find it lacking you have the 260, 270, and 30/06 to choose from.

Good Gravy man, what has NEED got to do with buying guns???? What a buzz kill! Holy moly, more guys like that will ruin the whole danged economy!!! Keep America green, spend money! The more loonies around the fire the bigger the fire... I like warm.

Last edited by Old_Doe_Shooter; 04/24/14.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**