Originally Posted by 1Deernut
I'm going to buy another rifle to hunt with this Fall ( I certainly don't need one, but you know how that goes). I have a few chamberings not currently in the safe, and I can't make up my mind which to add, so I figured who better to make up my mind for me than a bunch of rifle loonies sitting around the Fire? I most commonly hunt varmints, deer and Black bear, but also hogs, exotics, and an occasional foray for an elk (probably will take a 270 or 06). Deer being what I hunt the most.

I have reloaded for close to 20 years and I use a chronograph, so loading for older cartridges that are not commonly listed in manuals is not a huge hurdle. With all that said, here is the list I am trying to choose from. The one most recommended in this thread is the chambering I will purchase a rifle for and use, at least on a few hunts, this Fall:

7mm Mauser (7x57)
6.5 Swede
6.5 Creedmoor (I have a 260 rem)
250 Savage (careful with elk)
257 Bob (should have kept my last one) and (careful with elk)
7mm-08 (never owned one)
300 savage (gotta be a 99?)

What say ye?

First blush: 7mm-08

More importantly, I'd be considering the rifle itself. Regarding "holes" in your lineup, what are you lacking? Do you have an all-weather hard use rifle? Do you have a short/handy carbine? Does a pretty walnut "beauty queen" appeal to you?

I think it's fine to have some overlap concerning chamberings/calibers, especially when the rifles are notably different and fill different roles. Two of my father's favorite rifles are .308 bolt guns, but one is a heavy-ish tactical style rifle while the other is an 18.5" carbine.

Now with even more aplomb