I had a brief encounter with the 223 in a Ruger Mini 14 many years ago but never loaded for it. I've owned and loaded for most all the 22 centerfires other than the 223.

I'm not at all concerned with getting top velocities, and don't expect them from this short barrel. The rifle will be for fur hunting, lynx and fox primarily, and be for my wife when she accompanies me, or one of my friends who doesn't own a varmint gun but would like to try calling this year.

It would be great if the AA 2495 turned out to be a really accurate choice. I bought a bunch of it when I couldn't find any H4895 last year. I've since found plenty of H4895 but would like to keep it for my Whelens. As for bullets I have a lot of the Sierra 55 grain Gamekings, a bullet I like for fur, but may try some of my home made 52 grain HP from 22 LR cases. I have a ton of them but they need to stay around 3000 fps or less or they want to come apart prior to impact. They may be a bit too explosive for fox.

Used to make the annual pilgrimage to Klamath County for our yearly matter splatter. I lived in Eastern Washington at the time and one of our good friends lives in that area. We got together every year to shoot ground squirrels. My wife shot a very heavy old push feed model 70 in 222 that was a one hole gun. She about wore that gun out shooting squeaks. The last couple of years we did that the Nosler 40 Btip had just come out. Turned that 222 into a squirrel exploding machine. She loved it when they got some hang time. If they just fell over she was a little disappointed.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.