Originally Posted by STS45
One of my favorite threads. I love all of your Winchesters but especially this one. I too am looking to build a model 70 like this for elk hunting. I basically destroyed my featherweight 30-06 this year Elk hunting. It got soaked for a week straight and damn near gave me a heart attack worrying about it. Time to get a synthetic stock and a paint job.

Could you expand a little more on how you paint your stocks, they look friggn great! I have a factory tupperware stock that is going to get painted. Also, does your cerakote guy accept work from guys out of state? I've had some really really crappy jobs done here in town.

Thanks a lot guys. I was hoping I wasn't boring you to death with all the crappy pictures. My new camera looks to be a lot better so you can see the work a little better. I'm extremely happy with this one and it didn't take much work on my end. Just bedding and painting the stock. The rest of the work my cerakote guy handled. I'm hoping I went with the right scope, but the glass seems to be excellent. We'll see how it works out in the field next November. My smith says the barrel was installed by someone that really knew what they were doing. We checked the lugs for contact and they are both dead nuts. He thinks it will be a shooter. I just don't know what to expect. I'll load something up and probably shoot it this weekend. We'll see how the weather is.

As for the Cerakote, the guy that does this for me is a great guy to deal with and I asked him if I could give his name out here and he said for sure. He said he does about 6 or 7 rifles per week. His turn around time is excellent and he cares about his customers needs and the quality of work is top notch. I've hunted my other cerakoted rifles and they show little to no wear. The rifle in the above picture on the rock with the light colored bansner stock is another one he cerakoted for me a couple years ago. It's amazing how well the stuff is holding up. As for painting stock: When I paint a stock, I use a heated room as a paint booth. I sand as per usual and let the paint dry between coats. I have used automobile primer before, but have found the clear primer for plastics and synthetics seems to grab the paint better. Somewhat baking it on also helps a lot. I've had numerous PM's about my cerakote guy. I don't really want to give out his information in an open thread because he's not a site sponsor or anything like that. However, if anyone would like his info I'll be glad to pass it along. He has an FFL so he accepts firearms etc...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA