Ok. I just drove over 300 miles today to get my hands on one before ordering. The store I went to had a 260 in the old Bell and Carlson stock and a 338 Win Mag (lefty) in the new, in-house stock.

Obviously they are different. The gun counter dude was kind enough to take the actions out of the barrel so I could see the differences, and check the quality of the bedding. Let me say this. The new stock offers a very noticeable weight savings. The Bell and Carlson felt flat out heavy. The X2 not too bad. The texture of the X2 stock is much grippier, think reminiscent of a Kimber Montana stock. The new stock does not have a full length aluminum bedding block like the B&C, but is pillar bedded and nicely glass bedded. As for the comments about the new stock being radically ugly? Come on. Go to their website and they have pictures of both, but looks are subjective.

I walked away without placing an order largely because I am still unsure of cartridge selection, and like to deal with the owner who was busy at a gun show.

I see it as being in the same market as Winchester EW and KImber Montana. I agree with SAS in that it is what Winchester should be. As to the Kimber Montana, of which I have had three (all which shot well) , I would say the stocks are very similar, the action is beefier, the triggers would be equally good, and the X2 has a floor plate which to me is a big plus over a blind mag, but the Kimber has the weight advantage.

If you like one buy one. If not, put your money elsewhere, but they seem to offer really good value for the features that are offered.

Last edited by sns2; 01/24/15.