Got MRC 1899 XWR SS in last night. Haven't shot it yet, but first impressions are VERY favorable. Quality seems top notch - a huge step above the typical factory M700. I got the short action version, which when compared to a Remington SA, is more of a mid length action. The 3.125" magazine box is perfect for those that want to seat out the VLDs to the lands. For those that haven't wanted to put a 6mm Rem on a short action before, this action is the answer. Would also be perfect for the 284 case. If throated correctly, I suspect it would even be suitable for a 6.5-284 w/ VLDs. Mine has the B&C stock and I really like it. The comb is higher than any non adjustable I have dealt with. The forend is a little shorter than normal and I really like the look. It seems quite stiff. I am not able to easily squeeze the forend to touch the barrel.

I have handled and used CRF rifles, but have not owned one and really scrutinized it. Mine could still be made to double feed IF I seriously short stroked the action. The extractor doesn't pick up the rim until the round completely pops up out of the magazine, which is about 1/2 way through the bolt travel. Still though, it DOES get control of the round well before you close the bolt handle, which I can't see being a bad thing. Ejection is horizontal which means no cases bumping windage turrets. The same can't be said about some of the other custom actions out there. With only moderate rearward bolt speed manipulation, it really flings the cartridges out there. As adjusted from the factory, the trigger has a little creep, but is so smooth as to be nearly non-detectable. I didn't put a scale on it but it is very useable as adjusted from the factory. The magazine will actually hold 5 down. The belly seems relatively trim so I don't know how it does it, but it does.

Even, having not shot it yet, I am certain this will not be my last MRC. I like the action so much that even should it not shoot well (and based on its overall apparent quality, I don't expect that to be the case), I will just have it rebarreled. Range report to follow, but it will be about 10 days or so before I have the opportunity to shoot it.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14