Originally Posted by hunt_4646
I have had 2 Savage Axis rifles. One shot consistent 1/2 inch groups after trigger pull was lightened to 3.5 lb. The other functioned perfectly but 1 1/4 groups was the best I could get with it.
Had Marlin XS7 and it was the smoothest and had the best finish of the budget rifles. Accuracy was good for hunting standards. I consider it the best buy of the less expensive rifles. Can be purchased in the $300 range.

I now have the Thompson Center Venture and it is the best handling and most accurate rifle I own. It is 243 and shoots 60 Hollow point Sierras over imr4064 into 1/3 inch group at 100 yards. 100 soft point Hornady's group at 3/4 inch with H4831sc powder. 100 Sierra prohunt over imr4350 groups around 1 1/4 inch.

The most talked about in this area is the Ruger American. I do not see many being purchased. Most owners complain about the flexing stocks but brag on the triggers.

I got a Venture compact in 308 this year. Made some light loads with 125 B-tips for my neice and daughter. I have to go find another gun for them not, this one's mine. I did have an issue with the extractor not wanting to let the bolt cam over on the case rim but that was an easy fix. Trigger is 1.75 lbs and shoots half moa, what's not to like considering I spent 375 after rebate on it.