Looking back, I think the best thing for a beginner is a rough, gritty, heavy, factory trigger. A crappy trigger will make a shooter work for tiny groups and understand that accuracy doesn't come from a new trigger, high powered scope, or free float rail. Trying to tell someone that isn't easy though as everyone was born a marksman and few are willing to fix the real problem when they can cover it with a bandaid.

As for the rifle configuration above, thats pretty much what I like, although I think the 14.5" barrel length is dumb. The AR has come a long way since the Colt 6920 and there are better options. The problem is there are so many options its just easier to tell someone to start out with a good base rifle and let them learn from there. If someone doesn't like AR's after they shoot a good one, there is something wrong with them. A new trigger and handguard ain't gonna fix it. wink

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."