Practice never hurts.

We shot "only" NRA High Power Service Rifle.

BUT along the way we heard this cross training mantra.... and shot some rimfire silhouette, some 3 and 4 position rimfire, some bullseye( even managed 20 leg points in 3 "service" pistol matches), as many fun mathces with the AR we could find,that were various styles, IDPA, IPSC, and even shot the match rifle version of highpower with a bolt gun some, and started doing a lot of palma type shooting with both bolt and finaly service rifle.

All I can say is it was amazing what you could learn from each sport that came back not only to Service rifle, but to hunting.

Wife or I never got to the top levels in Service rifle, but we sure did ok for what we were doing at the time.

And it transferred right into the hunting fields. SO much so that the first deer I shot after getting decent with the AR, I was so surpised, I never expected the gun to go bang when it did and so quickly, but it was a perfect shot. Eye saw it, brain said WTF lets go, boom.

And even if you suck at longer distances like I did, it sure can make a 300 yard shot on something gravy... guys at the lease used to listen to the 308 whistle to impact.... they would never shoot 300-400 yards... If thats where what I needed to shoot stopped. Boom.

And I'd have never rolled a few yotes and even deer etc... on the other side of 400 without the practice...

I was fairly well tuned up when I double dinged my caribou with a 338 Win mag years ago, 802 yards both shots. Shot seemed SO easy. My old 4H shooter I had coached was my spotter, and I was going to shoot the other side of 1000 and he insisted we get closer... we did. He was amazed at the shots. ( this next part is not arrogant at all, I think that most of you that know me, know I am opinionated and strong headed but don't take it as arrogance) But.. I would have been as amazed as he was, if I had missed either shot.

It builds confidence.

Ya know... if you knew what you know now when you were 20.... or 18....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....