Jeff,

While Service Rifle, High Power, etc., is a part of rifle marksmanship- it is a specialized form of rifle shooting that lacks a couple of significant factors in regards to practical field shooting. Namely: odd uncomfortable and generally unknown positions, tight time standards and relativley small targets that are all or nothing. Do not misunderstand me. Positional shooting is a part of basic rifle marksmanship and it combined with gun handling and gun manipulations are the foundation that (true) shooters are built on. However some things that work on a manicured rifle range do not acquit themselves so well under mental, physical and emotional stress with tight time constraints, variable lighting and small fleeting targets.

In a world where targets are not controlled by a person in the pits or calm deer feeding in a greenfield, adjusting my irons for differances in position doesn't really work. Neither does 6 o'clock holds or slinging up.

I am specifically addressing the duty use of a rifle or self protection, however it applies the same to hunting except maybe when in a stand over a greenfield.

The organization that conducted the test has shooting Standards that are based upon realistic target sizes (8in) from 7 yards to 300. Each portion is go/no-go and there is no reshoots. A single miss or string fired over time and the whole test is a failure. Time standards are tight and the positions are varried.

Mag mono podded is the fastest most stable way to make a shot from prone and induces no measurable variance in POI given proper body position and trigger control nor causes any reliability problems like so oft touted.

I'm sure you know this, but just wanted to clarify my thoughts a bit and for those reading provide a bit of perspective.

This target shows all the benched shots in pink and all the alternate position shots in white.

[Linked Image]

Pretty easy to see why in comparison to the Non-FF handguard that a FF results in more hits. Or I should say- fewer misses due to variability.