Originally Posted by 5sdad
This thread has been enlightening as I had not really given much thought to suppressors. After reading through it, I have identified the following benefits:
1) hearing protection for the shooter and those nearby
2) politeness in not annoying those within hearing distance
3) not startling game in the vicinity of the shot
4) introduction of new shooters to the sport without the noise
turning them off
5) the chance, through use and/or support, to establish one's
cred as a True American
6) the opportunity to add to one's collection of "cute"
firearms-related terms through the use of "cans"

Can anyone add to the list, or conversely, point out any negatives about them?

7)Reduced recoil (no noisy break required)

8)Possibility of increased accuracy

9)Reduction of muzzle blast

As to the issues of weight and balance, there are cans available in Europe where these common complaints have been addressed. Within the next year, I hope to have production of one such solution started in the US with a can that provides hearing safe solutions with an increase in the length of the rifle of about 4" and an increase in weight of about 7 ounces. This isn't an ad for them, merely pointing out that many of the deficiencies some of the posters have identified as to why they wouldn't buy a suppressor can be mitigated with intelligent design and some advanced materials.

Oh and the OP is a classic example of the kind of back stabbing idiot who doesn't get and will never get the whole idea behind the 2nd Amendment. Those kind of people are who helped get semi auto rifles banned in the UK in the 1980's and assisted in accepting 'reasonable restrictions' on other firearms which led to the next ban on handguns in the 1990's. Its the thin end of the wedge and ANY restriction on the rights of the people need to be vigorously resisted. And yes, its all or nothing; you're either with us or against us.

And to the guy who claims to have a .22 can that doesn't work: I have an SOT and would be glad to look at it if the manufacturer won't stand behind their product. However, you need to understand you will still have a sonic 'boom' if you're using hyper velocity ammo. Much of the standard velocity .22 ammo is inconsistent too with some of them exceeding the speed of sound every few rounds. With quality standard velocity or sub sonic ammo, even the most basic .22 can will reduce the sound of the round to a 'click' of the firing pin striking the round, a dull 'whap' sound and then the noise of the round impacting the target. If the can doesn't do that, its a REALLY crappy can....