Originally Posted by RobJordan
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
As tough as an MMA fighter or pro boxer may be, they are not trained or practiced in lethal techniques. They practice a sport and those sports by necessity dis-allow lethal techniques.

If a fight last longer than two strikes you have done it wrong.

IMHO, MMA skills would be very useful in hand-to-hand combat. I found it significant that the article valued wrestling skills so highly in hand-to-hand scenarios. Whereas I notice Hollywood tends to like to focus on striking. Its worth remembering too that even a world class athlete can only go full-out for about a minute. As an example, folk style wrestling is extremely demanding. Wrestlers are the most fit, and over-trained athletes in existence. But even in college wrestling, there is a significant amount of periodic inactivity or relatively low levels extreme exertion as the wrestlers set-up takedowns or position to execute an escape move. It is extremely taxing for even a superbly conditioned collegiate wrestler to exert himself full-go for a take-down or an escape for even as little as one minute.

My .02 worth.

Jordan

That sport training is better than nothing. However, collegiate wrestling and MMA ground and pound are focused on pinning and leverage holds. Not incapacitation and deadly force.

What I am trying to say is self defense and hand to hand combat are a different thing than a sport. It starts with the mind set of immediately disabling an opponent not holding or pounding them into submission. Try that stuff with multiple attackers and you die.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775