Lets see, apples to apples. Have 2 scopes, same age, within 2 years. Fixed 6X leupy thats great. Variable Zeiss 40 mm tube that I set on 6 most of the time(zeiss we need a fixed 6!!!) Take them out in the woods and the Zeiss wins it every way around for me personally. Your mileage may vary also so get out there and look.

My personal issue is that a Zeiss, even compared to a LPS still has more light gathering and clarity.

Can't use it unless its after legal hours eh? Well I buy a rifle/scope for that once in a lifetime chance that will probably come early or late. On dark dreary day, the Zeiss may even throw it in before legal hours. But I'll take 10-15 minutes of time any day just in case.

And it do work great at 5x for shooting piggys with stars out. No moon needed. Its a combo of clarity and crosshairs that are much bolder than others to my eye, yet wont' cover up the whole target in the process. Have tried with many differing L scopes over the years on after hours piggys and its just hard with them and while not easy with the Z its workable.

I also kinda agree with the statement abotu needing great binocs. Yet the fact remains if you can find them wiht your great glass, yet can't make the shot with sub par glass, then the great binocs did you no good.

When it comes to saving money I'll spend what I can afford on binocs and scopes and save it by shooting a NEF single shot if I had to. A good enough rifle is the cheapest part by far.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....