The whole eye box thing might be a joke to some of you, but, to some us that hunt everything from triple digets to single digets and use everything from standing to prone, I've found it's very nice to have. Makes a confidence difference and a speed difference when I need to get on target in a hurry.
Ah, yes. The fable of the superior Zeiss being available at the last of the legal light when the inferior Leupold fades out....
I've got a buddy who bought into that once. Had a Redfield on his rifle at the last of the legal light. Couldn't see the huge buck through his scope. The guy next to him was using a Zeiss. He killed the buck. He could see it fine. My friend saved for three years to buy that special $1500 Zeiss. Did it work ? Oh, yes. Is it better than his Leupolds ? My friend doesn't use his fancy Zeiss anymore. He's discovered how to select the right Leupolds and, even more important, how to use them. He's a bit worried about reliability issues.
I got a chance to play with his fancy Zeiss scope for a while. I finally had to ask him about what made it so special. By then, he understood that he had fallen for the hype. He just shrugged and said nothing.
All my fully multicoated Leupolds work well after legal shooting hours. Guys like JJHack and John Barsness have been trying to tell us that there is no one brand better than another as far as brightness is concerned. JJ found that even scopes with objectives as small as 32mm's work fine if equipped with an appropriate reticle. He, like Barsness, have seen them all and used them all in the field. JJ uses his at night sometimes. He's seen about 6000 critters shot under all kinds of conditions. Anybody want to argue with that ? E