Why I don't like the 3 position safety
By Berettaman

This report is for Mr. Formidilosus' 9th grade firearms class.

Kids are kids. My kids are shaping up to be pretty darn responsible, but they are still kids. If you have to put the safety in the fire position to unload the gun, there is a period of time that the rifle will fire if the trigger is bumped. As a firearm safety instructor, I always preach muzzle control. But kids are kids. I keep coming back to that and while unloading it is certainly possible they get distracted. With many quality guns on the market, why buy one that doesn't offer the utmost in safety when it is MY kids?

My dad has a Tikka. Great gun for responsible adults (notice I didn't just say "adults"). My elk gun is a Sako A7. It has the 3 position safety.

The boys are shooting 22 LRs now. They do a good job for 7 years old. 3-4" 14 shot groups at 20 yards. We dont have an easy place to shoot much over 100 yards (at least until the crops come off in Oct). So in some ways, the 223 will be wasted. Although there is talk of a new range in town....

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.