Originally Posted by Mule Deer
obie,

How many big game animals have you killed (or even seen killed) with .224 centerfires?

As for your ".233" typographic error, it's interesting because when I first started hunting big game in Montana the state (like many others) had a .23-caliber minimum for big game. This was primarily due to the .220 Swift, because the people who made the rules for many game departments had a visceral reaction to any "twenty-two" caliber rifle being used on deer. Most had never seen a .220 Swift used on deer (or often even varmints) but they KNEW it wouldn't work. (This resulted in a bunch of .23-caliber wildcats, at least before the .243 Winchester appeared.)

Thankfully, Montana got rid of that rule many years ago. By the 1980's my wife and I were using the .220 Swift on big game, and I even used it as my "recoil cure" rifle when guiding pronghorn and deer hunters who flinched violently because they thought a 7mm or even .338 magnum had way more power so killed "better."

This isn't true. A "twenty-two" bullet through the lungs kills deer and antelope just about as quickly as a larger bullet, if you use the right bullet and put it in the right place. Usually they either die on the spot, or go 25-40 yards before keeling over, just like they do with a .243, 7mm-08 or even bigger rounds. Hell, I've seen one mule deer doe go 80 yards after a perfect hit through the lungs with a 200-grain bullet from a .300 Winchester Magnum--and no, the bullet didn't leave blood trail until about 5 yards before the deer fell.

If you have contrary experience I'd sure like to hear it.

That is going to cause a few heart attacks.