A
Originally Posted by jeffbird

While many here likely will chime in with differing experiences, the 175 SMK has produced more consistent results for me than any other bullet and worked fine on animals out to 450 yards with one shot DRT's. In examining lots of wounds from them through the years, they seem prone to tumble through producing some dramatic wound channels. They always produce through and through wounds on deer, and I've yet to ever recover one from a deer. On pigs, shot in the skull, they penetrate into the brain and produce DRT results, but usually fragment and do not exit.

Thanks for the reply and you as well JG.

Have killed a lot with SMK's and they work as well. They work exactly as you believe- they penetrate a few inches then tumble, usually fragmenting very well and leaving baseball to softball exits. Sometimes they do expand as one would think, and occasionally they fail to fragment when they tumble, but the bullet still does good damage. It's all based upon the diameter of the hole in the nose. Older ones had a slighter bigger opening and were more consistent, newer ones have a smaller opening, very often with bits of copper plugging the hole, and some of the newest ones are pointed with virtually no hole. The smaller the hole gets the more inconsistencies you see.

Generally they still kill well and I would have no issues going back to them across the board.