My last - and maybe only - ER visit was because I was having chest pains. The two guys on duty were reading magazines behind the window, not at all interested in whatever my problem might be - until I said "chest pain". They immediately strapped me to a gurney, put an IR of something in my arm, and began 2 days of pure torture. I was admitted to the hospital, tested beyond my endurance, threatened with insulin injections (I am NOT insulin dependent!). Before they would finally let me out, I had to agree to a stress test. The nurse running the treadmill got mad because she thought she had talked me into a chemical stress test, but I changed my mind (on the advice of another nurse) - and the Doctor told her that was within my rights. She ran that treadmill much faster and longer than necessary - damn near killed me.

I will never, ever go to an ER again, although I have taken my accident-prone wife in a few times.

And I know of dead beats who go to the ER for aspirin when they have a slight headache - because (for them) its free.