Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That sort of internal destruction is typical of thin-jacketed "target" bullets at what might be called conventional ranges. Have seen it many times with such bullets. Contrary to what some people say about the internal damage from TSX's and other monometal "petal" type bullets, the internal damage from Bergers, Scenars, MatchKings, etc. is normally far greater, so much more extensive you have to see it to believe it.

I once saw the heart of a big red stag, about the size of a mature cow elk, turned into a long flap of flesh no more than a half-inch thick by a 168-grain Berger Hunting VLD. The only reason it was even recognizable as the heart was the surface tissue--and the stag was shot at 250 yards with a .30-06, so bullet velocity at impact wasn't exceptionally fast.

This was my first kill with a Scenar. I've been shooting them a while, they are very accurate in everything I shoot, just hadn't decided to use them for hunting till this year. I'm sure some folks will feel like they are excessively destructive, but I was very pleased with the performance and plan to use them next year as well.

David