Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by mpwolf
I'm wondering how the .338 250gr would do at moderate velocity? Say 2500-ishI'm contemplating a .338 RCM build on a Tikka, so it could be seated out plenty long.

The seating issue was the Achille’s heal on the 155 in the 308. It would have been NO issue in a 30-06. The boat tail encroached the powder space to the extent of compressed charges. I could have used a flat based bullet to solve the problem but I just can’t deny my liking for the Scenar & short actions overall.

When I'm loading I like a powder that fills close to the junction of the base of the neck. Then I like bullet's seated to the base of the neck at most. I don't like the bullet encroaching on the powder space at all. If I have a long enough magazine and chamber, I do like heavier bullet's but in a lot of rifle's the magazine calls that idea. I had a 7mm Rem Mag in an L61 Sako years ago and found the chamber limited the ability to seat the bullet out far enough. Took it and a MTY round to a gun smith and had him re chamber so that round would work in it. The magazine was long enough to handle it. Increased max powder charge quite a bit and gun was more accurate than ever!

Had a 6mm rem in a 700 Rem that wouldn't let me seat the bullet's out that way because the magazine was to short. Never did like how that 700 shot! Up in Alaska I had a Rem 660 in 308 I loaded up with 200gr bullet's to carry fishing. magazine wouldn't let me seat the bullet's out but that load was only needed for very short range. Bullet's were into powder chamber but fit the magazine. Only did about 2" groups at 100 yds but I had no intention of using it that far so I as good to go!