I finally completed my bullet penetration/expansion testing on the 154.7gr 30cal Lapua Scenar-L's. First rounded up a box of old computer paper and soaked it with a garden hose. Turns out I only had it partially soaked as the paper was tightly packed. For a baseline I used a 45-70 loaded with Lyman 457193 cast lead bullets weighing 418grs moving 1700fps from the muzzle. This would be about the ultimate penetrator load, unless something ridiculous is used such as a black tip fmj. The box of paper was set on a stand 100 yds downrange from the bench. 45-70 load penetrated the box of wet/dry paper 9". Spent slug weighed 300grs and expanded to 0.63". Not bad for a plain base cast lead bullet.

The 30cal Scenar-L's exited the muzzle at a chronographed speed of 2926fps from my 26" barrel 308 win. Two were fired into the medium. They penetrated almost exactly the same depth as the 45-70 Gov't. 9". One weighed 78.7grs, the other 84.1grs for over 50% weight retention. One expanded to. 65", the other 0.71". This is a very accurate target bullet that happens to also make an excellent hunting bullet. I purchased my supply of these for target use, but am pleased to see excellent terminal performance in expansion medium. This was a rather severe test of this bullet.