I've done different gigs over the last 40 years or so.

Worked for one company that announced big future plans and a solid financial footing on Tuesday, only to announce that same Friday they were insolvent and closing shop. Fully funded pensions were missing, severance pay required by law was unavailable, and contractual insurance premiums hadn't been paid for a year. This company processed all of their insurance claims in-house and said that non-payment of claims was just a paperwork back-log. They lied.
Pension claims for this employer are being handled by the federally funded and managed PBGC.gov.
Thank you tax-payers...

Just 2 years ago I signed on with a new job. Hourly are treated more than well. Many have left to pursue other employment, only to return when their situation or needs changed.
Have seen 2 lower management guys walked out the door on the day they gave 2 weeks notice. They were leaving to go work for a competitor. And I do believe they were both paid for those 2 weeks.

In between those 2 employers I worked the heavy construction (powerhouse) trades for 13 years. Made a ton of friends. Worked for some interesting companies. Work was sporadic and seasonal, but paid very well. When they needed you, they needed you tomorrow, and sometimes a thousand or more miles away. Hire in day became an anticipated meeting of friends. As the jobs wound down, the lay-offs came a few guys at a time. Foreman showed up, while you were on the job, with a check and a handshake. It was never announced but the never unexpected, as the work load evaporated.
Good times...

"Chances Will Be Taken"