Of those you've listed from G&A, I knew (or know) Judge Martin,* Jeff Cooper, and Bob Wallack.*
<br>
<br>Of those you've listed from Rifle, I knew (or know) Neal Knox, Jim Carmichel, John Wootters, John Buhmiller,* Bob Hagel, Ken Waters, George Nonte,* and Don Zutz.* Have been on hunting trips with several of 'em.
<br>
<br>* now long gone, alas
<br>
<br>Of the current writers whose names you'd recognize, I know too many to list here. And no, I won't tell you the names of currently well known writers whom I helped to get started and under way -- including some I persuaded to "try writing" -- because at least some of 'em'd rather you didn't know that they owe any smidgen of their careers to anyone besides themselves. And if I were to list their names, some of you here would get the feeling that I was "name-dropping" in an attempt to bask in the reflected glow of their reputations.
<br>
<br>I will say, however, that I'm very proud of each and every one for what they have all done -- by their own good, hard work -- to take full advantage of the starts that I helped 'em with. That's a fine private feeling that can't be shared. A few years ago, to help friends launch a new magazine, I contacted a slew of these writers about writing for it and warned that early rates of pay for their articles wouldn't be great. They all said, in almost exactly the same words, "If you're going to be the Editor, I'll be [happy, honored, etc] to be on your staff." That still warms my ol' heart, of course, but it's also private as to who told me that.
<br>
<br>I understand your interest, your curiosity -- but can't feed it. Sorry. Some private things have to stay private. I don't mind sharing, but some of them care, and I must honor their desire for privacy in the matter.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.