Ken the men you named, help make for a great foundation for the shooting sports as we know it today.
<br>Bless those guys, they enjoyed life like I would like to.
<br>
<br>Back in my young teens I worked my tail off for a summer, I saved every penny for my dream rifle and scope. My dad told me to take my time and study ballistics and read the cranks of the past. I did, one
<br>of them being Colonel Townsend Whelen. He had an
<br>article which I still have touting the merits of the 7mm-06
<br>or 280 Rem. In it he say's "If the 175g 7mm could be
<br>given the same velocity as the 30-06 (2,700 fps) in the same weight of the of rifle and the same length of barrel as the .30-06 and with no greater recoil, it would surpass the .30-06 180 grain load in flatness of trajectory, wind bucking ability an killing power. Thus it would be just a little better than our very best American game rifle known today. And it is!"
<br>I made my choice then, a 280 Remington with a Leupold
<br>m8 6x. I used that rifle for 20 years and never looked back. Still have it, except it sports a Marqaurt 7mm barrel. One of first, if not the first one he made when he
<br>decided to go to a lower caliber than .30. I had him put my name on the right hand side near the reciever, he thought it odd and then laughing asked me if I wanted my SS# on it as well. I said no. What a great guy he was!
<br>
<br>